Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Reflections, redirection.

I keep wondering if you've thought about having two blogger spaces. Your words on loss and grieving and sustaining a relationship have been generous, and helpful to me, though I have not lost a child.

The ShangriLa eating plan seems like such a different topic, maybe even jarringly so. But perhaps on my part, that's the impulse to take grief and put it in a box, safe from threatening other things, refusing to see death alongside life going on?

The weight loss is important to me, mostly because I was dealing with grief, in part, by eating until I submerged parts of the pain. The diet cut out the mental connection to food and broke all of that loose. In addition, the diet creates changes in mental states unlike anything I've experienced (for more than a week).

On the other hand, I really think I can move the diet comments to Seth Robert's on-line forums, now that they are up and running. I need to get back to my core, especially if readers find it jarring. It was seductive to get up to a thousand page views in a day (May 4th), but now that things are moving along, people can get diet information lots of places.

I'll blog about another rule of three next, and get back to my core.

If you want more diet information, go [here] and [here/here] (the second link pair takes you to the message boards that Seth Roberts set up and lots of other people's perspectives and thoughts on the diet). I'm back to my roots, where I can do some good.

Thanks for the reminder and the perspective.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't find it jarring. It was almost nice to have something lighthearted (relatively so) to read amidst all of the heavy stuff.

Anonymous said...

I have looked at some of the other sites where you post, and while those sites are useful for people on diets, they narrow the idea of what constitutes "health" to simply what a person weighs. This site, on the other hand, makes physical health part of the greater context: that of becoming a good person, no matter what life throws at you. I really love the mix of "serious" and "diet" posts on this blog. People are complicated and all these different struggles are what make us human.

N.F. said...

So, I've been meaning to ask you this for days--if I have a 16 oz. water bottle that I use at work--how much sugar do you think I should put in it? OR, where can I read to find that out? Either on your blog or someplace else?

THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Well, in the old days the recommendation would have been a 1/3 cup of sugar to a liter of water, but now 1/4 cup of sugar to a 16 oz water bottle is probably right.

If that works for you, great, if not, you will need to up or reduce the dose (reduce if you find you can't eat anything, up the amount of sugar if you are having trouble still wanting to eat more than you want to).