Saturday, May 03, 2008

Shakespeare "In the Original Klingon"

Shakespeare "In the Original Klingon" is a project I got started on once.

What is fun, someone has taken it a step further: Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project.

The Klingon Hamlet
The Klingon Hamlet by Lawrence Schoen and Klingon Language Institute (Paperback - Feb 1, 2000)

Even better is:
Shakespeare in the Bush

and

Hamlet @Web English Teacher

Guess I should be more reverent with the classics, but I love them none-the-less.

3 comments:

Papa D said...

"Shakespeare 'In the Original Klingon'"

Stephon, I'm not sure you could combine two things about which I care less. *grin*

Stephen said...

I'm not terribly fond of the Klingon movement, though it seems pretty harmless.

What I do like is translating not languages, but metaphors. Shakespeare in the Bush is a great example. An anthropologist tries to tell the story of Hamlet to village elders who "correct" her -- and create an entirely different story.

The one I would like to get to is translating the St. Crispin's Day speech into Laadan -- making it a call not to join the valiant band of brothers, but a stirring call to non-violence and love.

The sub-theme is that I was responding to my troll. I'd hoped to engage him. He is angry enough that his postings are not terribly coherent, and I thought that maybe I could engage him and perhaps we could discuss what it was that I had done to irritate him that badly.

I've since figured out who he is and I've given up on engagement -- it seems that would be more like troll baiting which would not lead to any resolution, just more silliness and hostility.

Ah well, such is life, though this post was a fun memory.

Anonymous said...

The Klingon Language Institute has also published a translation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing (or, in Klingon, paghmo' tIn mIS.

Then there's the translation of the epic of Gilgamesh, and our forthcoming Tao Te Ching.