Tuesday, April 08, 2008

12,000 hits a day

My website runs 12,000 hits a day (well, averages somewhat more, before correcting upward for caching, but rounding down is always safe). My blog runs 4.5k page views a month at its absolute best (closer to 3.0k on a normal month).

But the blog seems to reach some people that it helps, the website just kind of runs along. Glad I'm not generating revenue, so I find that hits don't matter as much as they might, it is more about who I reach that needed it.

Interesting, because when I started blogging, I saw blogging as a once a month or less endeavor, a way to taper off a hand coded blogish sort of thing I started September 16, 1997. I was pretty ragged then, I often consider going back and cleaning up the entries, but smoothing them out seems as if it robs them of the immediacy and the reality that they had.

Interesting to look back. In 1997 I never would have imagined I'd be blogging like I am now. Heck, the word blog wasn't around yet, none-the-less the Bloggernacle.



The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger[39] on 17 December 1997. The short form, "blog," was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com in April or May of 1999.[40][41][42] This was quickly adopted as both a noun and verb ("to blog," meaning "to edit one's weblog or to post to one's weblog").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog#History