Thursday, July 05, 2007

Galveston oh Galveston ...

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston.
-
Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing,
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston.
-
I still see her standing by the water
Standing there looking out to sea.
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run.
-
Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying,
Before I dry the tears she's crying.
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston


Every fourth of July we go to Galveston, to flee town, to avoid memories, to mourn Robin.

This year we had reservations, but the rain was too intense. Today a waterspout came much to close to the condo we rented. But we weren't there.

But I am still bereft.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I ever listened that closely to the words of Galveston. It has a very minor tinge to it. I always liked the lyrics.

It is good you are safe from the storms. I am sorry you were not able to get the distance that you needed to make it easier to get through the week of your daughter's Birthday.

annegb said...

:) my friend

James was born July 9 and this is the first year that I actually forgot about it for a few days. I'd planned to get Rowan on that day, and we talked a lot about it.

Then I was thinking, "July 9, July 9" and it hit me like lightning that I'd forgotten his birthday. Not on the day of it, but I usually anticipate it.

I never thought that would happen.