Sunday, December 03, 2006

Rachel, I think that's cheating ...

Though darn inventive ...

My six-year-old created an alphabet code (one where you replace letters with various numbers). Nothing big, except she invented the idea herself. She then wrote a message in her code.

My wife asked her what she was writing. "The difficult spelling words." Yes, she planned to remember the complete code and translate from the numbers back to words for the difficult first grade spelling words ...

We broke it to her that her plan was probably cheating, not to mention harder than just learning the words (her code wasn't strictly alphabetical and did not include all the letters, only the ones in the words and a few more that she really likes).

Creative little kid though. I sure do love her.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inefficient, to be sure. But how do you figure it's cheating?

Anonymous said...

She was going to take the coded paper with her to the test. It wasn't an open book test.

Anonymous said...

That is so neat that she would invent such a thing! I used to like codes when I was young and used to exchange messages with my cousins who lived in Michigan at the time using the code that is found in the Speak and Spell electronic game that we had. Fun times!

doyle said...

nah it's not cheating it is a way to remember.

doyle said...

ATTN:: Stephen M (Ethesis) I read your site(s) very sad and I don't know what to say. but if you need a wiki for anything let me know.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you and your family this morning, several years after first wandering into your lives on internet space. Your site offered me glimpses of hope months after the death of my oldest son, Austin, now almost 9 years ago. I thought if this family that had suffered so much could survive and resurface to face life again and embrace a new child into their fold, I could perhaps live with my own loss.
I've stumbled at times, flown at times, but am embracing the life I have. My worries now center on my middle son, currently serving his 1st deployment in Ramadi as a Marine, and my youngest son, a newly licensed driver.
I trust that your family will continue to bring you joy during this time of reflection and remembrance.

Ellen Pleasants
Virginia

Cyn Bagley said...

You need to get her into a school that challenges her a little. I know that I was totally bored with school. I would do my own thing and then quickly make up the schoolwork when I had to... Needless to say I was a C student... although I was smart enough to be an A student. I learned that in college because I enjoyed the subjects and the teachers. :-)

Unfortuantely, many of our schools do not challenge them enough.