Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Junia, A Female Apostle?

I did a short poem over at the Snark in way of response to a riff they did. In that, I referred to Junia. My cites got cut off, but here they are:

Junia, btw, is an early Eastern Orthodox Saint.

If you click on the links (note, the first is a pdf paper), you will find that the first one disagrees with the thesis. Well, it is one thing to make a comment on a humor site, it is another to be certain as to the conclusion. I'm not certain at all, though it does make for interesting reading.

Do I know what Paul meant when he wrote: "Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was." No, I don't.

But it is worth some thought, and it fit the meter needs of the line. Sorry if I have no answers here, but there are many things in life without answers.


Barb said...

In twelve years of Catholic Schooling as well as all my scripture studies in the LDS programs, I had not heard of any of this. Interesting links.

Stephen said...

Junia is an Eastern Rite saint ;)

-- an old one, but after the split I believe.