Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

I'd seen some Disney channel on this, mostly about two kids discovering a magical world.

Went to see the movie. It is one of the "dead pet" genre of movies -- kid comes of age because of a death. In this case, because his best and only friend dies. Felt like I'd been ganked. Other than that, lots of product placement, even when it hurt the movie (the family is dirt poor and in distress, but the kids have premium brand name orange juice for breakfast -- in large glasses they aren't told to finish? On that family's orange juice budget I could have bought the kid the new shoes he wanted in a week).

3 comments:

annegb said...

You can get it cheap at Costco or Wal-Mart. I water it down and Bill never notices.

We went to see Premonition, which seemed sort of stupid, but now that I get it, not so much.

Stephen said...

I agree, you can get cheap OJ, but in the movie they had a premium branded OJ (for a product placement payoff, kind of like the gum, which was like seeing a TV advertisement in the middle of the movie).

If they had Sunny Delight, watered down, that would have added to the story, rather than a premium OJ from a brand.

Unknown said...

I will not be seeing that movie. I read the book in fifth grade, I still feel traumatized even by the title of the movie. Maybe I'm a little bit of a wimp, I dunno.

On the orange juice thing-- Maybe I need to start a juice budget. We'll have to do a monthly allocation for grape juice, apple juice and orange juice, most likely. I wonder how many pairs of shoes I have drunk?