Saturday, September 16, 2006

A completely different perspective on gay marriage

Red Family, Blue Family

I've never seen anything like it, anywhere else.



Interesting, related posts:
I'm afraid that I don't have any conclusions to add, any sermons to preach, anything to say but to cite Joseph Smith:
I never thought it was right to call up a man and try him because he erred in doctrine, it looks too much like ----ism and not like Latter day Saintism. ----ists have creeds which a man must believe or be kicked out of their church. I want the liberty of believing as I please, it feels so good not to be tramelled. It don't prove that a man is not a good man, because he errs in doctrine. (WoJS 183-184)
I always wanted to write a doctrinal book or discuss a topic fraught with discord with that quote in the introduction.

I will go back to grief and loss and recovery and relationships in future posts.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

I had not read that quote before. It is one of those testimonies of the Prophet he was.

Stephen said...

I loved it when I ran into it. When you read the history for the two sections of the D&C that interpret parts of the Bible, they stem from someone else's mistakes.

His doctrine was off (think Skousen's 1000 year series), but Joseph Smith said "so what" and both defended him as a person and provided corrections as well.

Anonymous said...

That is a neat quote.

Anonymous said...

I went and read "Red Family, Blue Family"--the whole article. It is amazing. I really enjoyed the ideas presented there. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading "Red Family, Blue Family" and he lost me the minute he began describing the role of the mother in the "Red Family." I would say I'm conservative but that model in NO way describes how I see the mother's role. "Too weak to discipline the children on her own?" Heck no! As for being too weak the support the family on her own, do we really need to go over how nigh-impossible it is to support and nurture at the same time? The people who do it do so at great cost to themselves and it is clearly better for all involved when the adult roles of supporting and nuturing in a family are shared.

Stephen said...

Heck no! As for being too weak the support the family on her own, do we really need to go over how nigh-impossible it is to support and nurture at the same time? The people who do it do so at great cost to themselves and it is clearly better for all involved when the adult roles of supporting and nuturing in a family are shared.

I'd agree that much of what is said is flawed.

However, it is original analysis in many parts, which I found interesting.

It is what he gets wrong, as much as what he gets right, that made me think.

Though I do need to do a better job of saying "this is interesting stuff, I may agree with some of it, I disagree with parts, but it is interesting."

annegb said...

Wonderful quote from the prophet. I'm going to use it a lot in dissenting in SS.