Wednesday, April 11, 2007

We've known Marilyn for a long time, from the grief support group at Prodigy on, but we finally got to meet her tonight. It was a wonderful visit. She looks and acts about fifty years old and inspires me with hope sometimes. In person she looks much better than her photographs.

Her website is

She has buried three children, as we have.

Currently she is taking dispute resolution classes for a master's degree, having transferred out of a "Biblical" counseling program (when one of her professors told her not to tell people that Christ died for their sins, because he may not have [the professor believes that Christ did not die for everyone's sins, only a select few], she kind of parted ways with that program, which is not normative for the Biblical Counseling movement).

Roses in December: Comfort for the Grieving Heart
Roses in December: Comfort for the Grieving Heart by Marilyn Willett Heavilin (Paperback - April 1, 2006)
Buy new: $8.79

That is her signature book, though she has written others.


Barb said...

I am glad you had a chance to meet. I am going to check out her blog as I think I see a link. I think it is good that she left that particular counseling program if it conflicted with her personal beliefs. I believe counseling should support a person's religious beliefs. I do believe you can help people on the road to healing by using a Christian approach without necessarily discussing religion.

Anonymous said...

It's Karen (Mrs. B.) I'm just jumping in to say "hello." You and Winn look great, and Marilyn seems like a real jewel of a friend. Keep up all that exemplary living your doing!

Lisa M. said...

that is just SO neat!