What my kids learned from competition:
- You don't always get what you want.
- You can do things you thought were too difficult for you.
- You will improve in anything that you work at.
- Winning feels good.
- Losing sucks. (Well, it does.)
- If you lose, you can train harder and try again.
- You were born into the wrong family if you are looking for someone to accept excuses for not getting what you want out of life.
Lots more great stuff there, I'm glad I added that blog to my links. Those are all great lessons for kids to learn.