Sunday, May 11, 2008

.. bruise too easily ...

I bruise you
You bruise me
We both bruise too easily
Too easily, to let it show

I was going to write a post about how easy it is to bruise each other. Mother's Day can be a land mine like that. So many people whose parents are dead or estranged, too many mothers whose childen are dead or lost or who have never been born.

But that is really someone else's post. Instead I got to thinking about the people I've bruised. I remember an incident with Popcorn Popping (for example). Just because I had good cause did not mean I had sufficient cause. Which is why, in the end, I owed the other side an apology [see here].

I've been thinking about things like that recently. I've had a troll for a while. Tried to engage him, to see if I could get him past the incoherent insults. I suspect that whatever has made him upset with me, part (or all) of it is my fault. Which means I should apologize.

Anyway, today I reached out and apologized to someone I had bruised, and thanked someone who had given me useful criticism that helped me do better (and who was afraid they had bruised me).

Better yet, I was able to have dinner with my mother, without any bruising at all.

3 comments:

Papa D said...

That's good to hear. I mean that in all seriousness.

Lisa M. said...

*Smile*

Anonymous said...

Mother's day was last week in France. It was the first one for little boys in my ward whose mother has left them and the church, of course they had to sing a song for their mom in sacrament meeting. I felt bad for them. I remember when I was a child and had to sing for father's day I really hated it. It reminded me how much I did not have a father.
"hey mom! Happy father's day!"