Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Favorite Quotes

“I never thought it was right to call up a man and try him because he erred in doctrine, it looks too much like m---m and not like Latter day Saintism. M--s have creeds which a man must believe or be kicked out of their church. I want the liberty of believing as I please, it feels so good not to be tramelled. It dont prove that a man is not a good man, because he errs in doctrine. The High Council undertook to censure and correct Br. Brown because of his teachings in relation to the beasts [in Revelations], and he came to me to know what he should do about it”
(Words of Joseph Smith, 183-84).

I always wanted to start a text for the young men, one that replaces the current boy scouts, with that quote.

The thought was that young men need modern survival skills, not ones meant to teach them in preparation for their becoming airborne rangers (sort of what the boy scouts originally was meant to do).

Four lessons a month:

One on basic spiritual skills (such as avoiding anger, etc.);
One on modern social survival skills (such as the gentle art of verbal self defense);
One on job awareness and professional skills;
One on service and brotherhood (young men should engage in service projects every month).

Real training for real life. Strange where that quote took me, where do your favorite quotes take you?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I came across something President Hinckley said his father often said:

"Cynics do not contribute. Skeptics do not create. Doubters do not achieve."

I have that next to my computer with the following words: "Be positive!" (although I cannot say for certain whether I added them or if they were part of the original quote.)

Whenever I read it I think of three things:

1. My long genetic line of negative (yet strong) women. Always worrying and being pessimistic is a cycle I want to break; luckily my mother started the breakage.

2. My very pessimistic BIL, whose negativity makes him unpleasant to be around for long periods of time.

3. How optimism is a beautiful thing and how it's transformed every viewpoint I have --looking at this quote often throughout the day reminds me of this.

Stephen said...

Cheryl,

Your comment is better than my post.

Thank you.