Thursday, November 01, 2007

I asked J.L. for some advice and ...

I asked for some recommendations on books and such, and the response told me I needed to do a lot of reading before I could ask the right question. I was two classes short (I had more than enough hours, but I lacked a couple required classes) of a minor in philosophy, and my brother was just about ABD when he switched career paths. But I realized I didn't know enough to ask the right questions.

So I've started reading.

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes
Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes

Is where I started. I'm now reading:

The Problems of Jurisprudence
The Problems of Jurisprudence

With a number of books stacked up on my "read this next" shelf (also have a "new" edition of the Odyssey and the Iliad to read, as recommended by my nephew Roark). Why Law and Economics Failed in Germany got me really started and I'm very much enjoying it. I'm part of the "law as social contracts" sort of crowd, but it is a lot of fun to be reading different perspectives (if things just agree with me, what is the point of reading them?).

I figure in a couple of months I'll be able to come back and ask the question again, this time the right way (I was looking for some recommendations of books to read).

Have you ever asked a question and then realized you didn't know enough to ask the question the right way?

I did, and it has been great.