Sunday, December 29, 2013

Rachel's talk at church today (2013/12/29)




Dear Brothers and Sisters, I was asked to give a talk based on President Thomas S. Monson’s talk “Believe, Obey and Endure.”  The essence of the talk is that the most important thing we can do is remain faithful to the gospel.  We stay strong by persevering.

He gives an example of a girl who remained true to the gospel and was shunned by all of her friends as a result.  For many months she was alone and it was a very hard, long and difficult time for her.  Keeping true to the gospel resulted in hardship and pain for her, but in the long run it made her life better and more true.

There is a lot of outside pressure on us that begins early, builds when you are a teenager and never really stops.  Pressure to act popular, to shun others and to not follow the standards of God.  There are always pressures to give up the celestial for the world.

We begin by believing.  It is the keystone.  You can’t do anything else if you don’t believe.  Belief is the first principle of the gospel.  If you believe it can help you in your perseverance and give you a reason to hold on.

The Article of Faith that applies is the fourth article of faith:

4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, bFaith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, cRepentance; third, dBaptism by eimmersion for the fremission of sins; fourth, Laying on of ghands for the hgift of the Holy Ghost.

Next, we have to keep believing:

To quote President Monson:

I have spoken over the years with many individuals who have told me, “I have so many problems, such real concerns. I’m overwhelmed with the challenges of life. What can I do?” I have offered to them, and I now offer to you, this specific suggestion: seek heavenly guidance one day at a time. Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it’s a cinch. Each of us can be true for just one day—and then one more and then one more after that—until we’ve lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised, “Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.

            So, we must endure.  We preserver and we do it just one day at a time.

            What do we do one day at a time?  We obey.  To quote President Monson:

Next, young women, may you obey. Obey your parents. Obey the laws of God. They are given to us by a loving Heavenly Father. When they are obeyed, our lives will be more fulfilling, less complicated. Our challenges and problems will be easier to bear. We will receive the Lord’s promised blessings. He has said, “The Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.”2


            In addition to obeying, we can repent.  If we miss a day, if something doesn’t go right, we can be kind to ourselves and turn to God and repent, starting over and doing the next right thing.  We look with hope to the future.  As President Monson pointed out in his talk:

If any has stumbled in her journey, I promise you that there is a way back. The process is called repentance. Our Savior died to provide you and me that blessed gift. Though the path is difficult, the promise is real. Said the Lord: “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.”4 “And I will remember [them] no more.”5

            This will bring us to where we need to be, to the things that will make us truly happy and home to our heavenly parents.  To repeat what President Monson said:

I have spoken over the years with many individuals who have told me, “I have so many problems, such real concerns. I’m overwhelmed with the challenges of life. What can I do?” I have offered to them, and I now offer to you, this specific suggestion: seek heavenly guidance one day at a time. Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it’s a cinch. Each of us can be true for just one day—and then one more and then one more after that—until we’ve lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised, “Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.”6


            I leave you with this message in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

_____

Dad did typing, Rachel did the writing.  She also did the editing as she has pretty strong ideas.

Honestly, I was very pleased with not only how she put the talk together, but how she presented it to the congregation after the sacrament had been passed (and with her giving me permission to share it on-line).

No comments: