Saturday, May 23, 2009

Some short political rants

Ok, I understand why the CAFE standard changes (myself, I'd raise the price of gas by $2.50 a gallon instead -- $.50 to the highway fund, $1.00 to deficit reduction, $1.00 to social security fund issues) which would result in all sorts of market driven changes. But, if we are going to use the current method, then I want a pledge by everyone who supports them to:
  • Drive the speed limit
  • Drive, ride in and own only vehicles that get a minimum of 35 mpg EPA standard.


On Club Gitmo, let us just assume that everyone we have in detention is guilty of murder. In most state prisons they would be currently eligible for parole. Will one out of seven return to the bad ways they had before? Without doubt, the number of people on parole who return to a life of crime is higher.

We have to decide if this is a war -- then put them into prisoner of war camps -- or if this is a criminal action, in which case you eventually have to let them go.

Are they dangerous? Of course, but how dangerous? Too dangerous to be allowed out? I doubt any of them count as strategic assets. Cold blooded murderers with a grudge (heck, if I'd been waterboarded over a hundred times, I think I might hold a grudge)? So, there are hundreds of those that go in and out of the prison system every year.

For more on torture, etc.:



Some jokes I heard this morning:
How many bluegrass musicians does it take to replace a lightbulb?

Five. One to hold the ladder, one to switch the bulb and three to complain that it is electric.

And ...
What is perfect pitch?

Throwing a [fill in the blank] in the garbage without hitting the rim on the dumpster.
Well, they seemed funny this morning.



Every time I read stories like this one -- L.A. Weekly -- I feel ashamed and feel we should do better. I found myself writing my elected officials again.



Finally, as I told a friend (who posted it to a discussion), with the Chrysler bankruptcy and the secured creditors (one group is selling the other group out in return for government money), every cent of the TARP funds used to leverage the sell-out group belongs in the bankruptcy, under some sort of clawback or other remedy as it is an asset being used on the bankrupt's behalf.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find very little more disturbing than the current administrations attempts to circumvent bankruptcy law by more or less telling bankruptcy judges to take from A and give to B.

If Congress did that, it would be called a bill of attainder, explicitly prohibited by the constitution. So what I want to know is when are the other GM/Chrysler creditors going to file suit to keep their property from being confiscated without due process?